Lot #5040 1938 Rolls-Royce Phantom III Sedanca De Ville
The Phantom III was an entirely different car from previous Phantoms with a 7,338cc V12 engine with 120hp and 4-speed transmission. With input from Gabriel Voisin, it had an international reputation of modern design and technology with independent suspension amongst scores of other contemporary features. Only 710 Phantom IIIs were produced, with 130 delivered to British Royal Family and high-ranking nobility. Only two Phantom IIIs were coach built to this cars gorgeous specification. This handsome Park Ward Sedanca DeVille is among the most elegant and luxuriously appointed Phantom IIIs to have survived. On September 22, 1937, this phantom III chassis, 3CM61, was sent off-test from the Derby Works and was shipped the following day from Lillie Hall to Park Ward & Co. in North London. According to a copy of the Rolls-Royce build record, this chassis was equipped with steering at the "E" rake and specified for town work and touring in the UK. Origianlly ordered to be held as stock, Park Ward clothed the chassis in this especially attractive Sedanca De Ville coachwork, the formal design house paying homage to the classic town carriage with its close-coupled arrangement, raked windscreen, flowing fenders and the fiarce-style treatment of the rear-hinged doors. According to the Park Ward specification sheet, occupants were treated to an electric rear blind, silk rope pulls, tray tables, vanities and exquisite cabinetry. In addition, the handsome town car was specified with bleached quilted maple woodwork, plain Ewart discs, distinctive rear spats, a fitted suitcase, a pyrene fire extinguisher, a Notek fog lamp and a single driver's side-mounted spare with metal cover. This spectacular Rolls-Royce was finally completed on January 4, 1938 and was immediately dispatched to J.D. Clarke, a surveyor and real estate agent with the exclusive address of 7 Park Lane, London. Registered ELN7, Rolls-Royce records indicate that Mr. Clark still owned the car in 1947. In 1978 the car was sold to Patricia Jean Geerke, leaving England for the first time shortly thereafter when it was purchased by Tom Barrett of Scottsdale, Ariz. By the end of 1982, the Phantom reappeared in London, only to return stateside seven years later having been the recipient of a complete restoration. For several years, the Phantom III was featured on display at the Blackhawk Museum in California, prior to being bought by noted East Coast collector Malcolm Pray. While in the care of Mr. Pray, the Phantom III was displayed at the Fairfield Concours d'Elegance and received the Most Distinguished Rolls-Royce Award at Greenwich, as well as the Most Elegant Formal Sedan or Town Car Award at Amelia Island. To this day, 3CM61 retains both its factory delivered engine and original coachwork and presents stunningly.